Sunday, June 17, 2012

Slug bugg


me and kendra
Today is fathers day. I miss mine, with all my heart, and I hope all of you are enjoying yours.


If you are a die-hard slug-bug game fan, you should come to D.F. There are slug bugs of every variety; big ones, small ones, black ones, blue ones, old ones new ones, and even slug bug taxi’s. I was worried about the long van ride with the boys, but had nothing to worry about because it is infested with slug bugs and now my arms are bruised.




parker and I
dinner made at home, enchilladas




The part of Mexico City that we went to was really cool, the streets were more familiar and the buildings were beautiful.
So today has been the day Ive been waiting for FOREVER. We headed out to Mexico City around 9 am.. straight to Frida’s house. I was so afraid as we pulled up that I was going to be incredibly disappointed. (I went to a Frida exhibit in at TAC and was a little sad, wishing there was more to the collection) But dun dun dun… I was really happy to pull up to this beautiful blue casa. If you dont know much about Frida Kahlo here is a short-very-compact-history.

She loved art as a girl.
When she was young she was in a terrible bus accident in Mexico City.
She spent a lot of her life in a body cast and in terrible pain.
She started painting when she was bed-ridden.
She married Diego Rivera who she said was the second biggest wreck in her life.
She had a miscarriage of her only child while in New York.
She painted about internal sufferage, always with a straight face
She spent most days of her life in pain, mentally and physically
She died in her own bed in 1954

Out side the house sits a huge garden área surrounded by the large wall fence. There is a small pyramid in the yard as well. The house looks just like its name and is all blue. It was pretty surreal to see her paintings in the house that she painted them in. I bought a few things and took a few photos.. but it was really awesome.





this is actually Frida Kahlos house

the boys and I at the blue house
me at the blue house

kendra and I enjoying the rain in Mexico City
A beautiful church in Mexico City




Parker on the van ride











spiderman lives in DF




Xochimilco was our next destination. If you have never heard of it, you should look it up. It was the coolest esperience despite the rain (by rain I mean buckets of water pouring down. You ride in boats along the water way, kind of like a Mexican Venice. The boat held our whole group and floated down the water next to other boats of mariachi bands, comida, cosas to buy, and small restaruants on the shore. We paid $100pesos and a mariachi band connected to our boat and sang La Bamba! It was the coolest experienced so far.

Once we left Xochimilco, we headed to dinner. The menú was soooo difficult to read, I mostly just need to make sure I didnt end up with a cow tounge on my plate. I got a chili relleno, Parker and Kendra had enchilladas, y noah had tacos.





Our van ride home was an experience, there was some accidento on the freeway so we had a long drive during which we listened to Christian Rap in Spanish. One guy in our class knew all of the words and before we knew it the whole van was singing along.




musician on the water singing for us



boats ahead of us
By the time we got home it was 8 pm. We had some friends over because they were locked out of their house. Unfortunately, we also had a cockroach. Haha. I screamed and jumped up onto the sofá, kendra grabbed a shoe and went at it!! She smashed it, and I swear it was in like three pieces, but then when we went back to look it was gone!!! It was still alive! But Kendra saved the day.




Spanish is becoming easier for me, especially to understand. But I cant help feeling like I am behind still. There is so much to learn and my accent is still pretty thick. Having the boys here is wonderful, and is difficult. Each day there is a new stress, but hopefully the wrinkles will smooth out soon.
hasta la pasta!


it really does taste different


Add caption















No comments: