Saturday, June 23, 2012

Mexico, Markets, Jardins, and a Video from Parker


June 23.



The last few days have gone by so fast. We have been so busy here, trying to see and do everything. Today we had scheduled a trip to Puebla, but it was cancelled so Im taking this opportunity to write a bit about the last few days.
School has been good, but dragging. I just want to go explore so much that I count the minutes of grammar study until I can get out.


Kendra, the boys and I took a little trip to el Zocalo and bought some gifts for people. The boys got bracelets with their names on them, and I bought myself a Mexican blanket, because if you know me, you know Im always cold. Always. Shopping was fun, but the difficult part was seeing a lot of children begging or working on the streets as venders.
The streets here are lined with carts of juices and fruits and corn, tempting, but everything is surrounded by bees and insects, and it is never refrigerated. I can just see the stomach pains when I look at the carts. No thank you.
Im surprised that Im not eating more here in Mexico. We really don’t eat that much, and it is all really pretty healthy, which is nice.


Parker stayed home from school one day sick from food. But I think part of it was just some nerves from school. That day at school we made Tostados. They were quite good,  even as a vegetarian dish, and pretty simple to make. I like the use of different types of vegetables and fruits here, and how they are incorporated in the food. I think ive eaten more fruit here than Ive eaten in a long time, but also, less raw veggies.






 Yesterday we went to Jardin Borda where the conquistador Maximiliano lived. The garden was great with a small lake and many small ponds with a preliminary water fountain that runs on gravity. It was easy to imagine myself living there 200 years ago hosting parties in the gardens with the many exotic species of flowers and trees. There were mango trees everywhere, which means there were mangos all over the ground. The interesting thing that I learned was that this was the first place in all of the Americas to have papaya trees. 

















Last night we all went dancing at Los Arcos. It was pretty fun. I danced like a crazy woman, who just don’t care. Everyone can really dance here, and I love to dance, but I don’t know how to do the different types. When asked to dance, I declined saying I really have no idea what im doing. He said, ‘you can dance, I’ll show you.’
 So we danced and danced, he showed me different dances and I showed him how to do the fish hook among other simply silly dances. But we all laughed and had a great time, and he put up with my inability to be a sexy latina.  I pretty much didn’t leave the dance area all night. Dancing is different here. Everyone dances, and everyone knows how to dance. Everyone looks sexy doing it. And once you are done dancing with one person, you dance with another. It was pretty fun, considering how much I love to dance.
We stayed until about 11:30 then headed to another place called “Mambo Café.” This place was crazy too, but in a different way, It was much more like a club you see in the states, with high ceilings, door men, and multicolored lighting, but with a huge dance floor and a mexican band.

The night was a success for the most part. The smoking indoors was a little much for us, but everything else was really fun.  We regrasamos a casa and the boys were sleeping sound in their beds.

Today we are gonna venture out to some sort of zoo here. 

Here is a lovely video from Parker. haha

Tomorrow we head out to the pyramids in Teotihuacan. Im pretty ecstatic about this guys. Seriously pretty cool, lets hope for sun.

No comments: