Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Make new friends, but keep the Old





Years ago I had my first day of work at Borders 417. A friendly face answered the door for me, tall, mildly to moderately handsome, some band t-shirt that I’m sure was a group only he knew of. “Hi,” he said, “welcome to Borders.”





Joe and I became friends in a manner that neither one of us really remembers, and maybe that is for the best. The thing we both do remember is that it was instantaneous. Joe and I have had our ups and downs, our backs and fourths, but we have always found that common ground, even though I would argue that it’s me that gives the 60% while he remains constant at 40%.
When Joe moved to Phoenix it was really hard for me because he became one of my closest and dearest. He is like my brother in a better way to put it, and I was his family when he lived in WA.  I was able to visit him a few years ago in AZ (pictures available in a folder on FB) and I was so proud of him. We had the best time, he had grown so much and was finding his way.
I have looked for every way to make it down to see him, but haven’t been able to until now.
I have to be honest. I was nervous. I hadn’t seen him for a few years, and our busy lives were getting the best of us and becoming an excuse for non-communication. And this trip I had my boys with me, what would we all do? Not to mention he had a girlfriend now that I was equally nervous about meeting in person. I’m so close to Joe, what was it going to be like now with a girlfriend, and what if we didn’t get along or have anything in common?









Well, not to worry. Going to his house was like going home. The boys felt comfortable and happy  hanging out swimming, playing questionable games on the playstation, and eating pizza all weekend. Uncle Joe was a hit, again.
Katie, Joe’s girlfriend, is an impressive addition. I love her. She is beautiful, smart, funny, actually I don’t know why she is with him (haha just kidding, Joe)  I think he was a little upset at how well we got along.  
The visit was really great. Joe and I stayed up til 4 in the morning catching up and it made me realize that I don’t have many  close friends, I don’t have anyone that just gets me or is really concerned with my daily life, and it was really wonderful and much needed to be with Joe and Katie. I can’t wait for them to move to Seattle. 
We made a really great breakfast that Katie and I enjoyed more than everyone else I think, but it was really good, despite killing a chocolate chip waffle by accident.
The rest of the weekend we mostly just hung out but Joe talked me into going to see the new Batman movie with the children. It was a bit violent, but it was a pretty good movie and not too harmful for the tots. 
Basically, we had a great weekend, great friends, and fun. We celebrated Katies birthday with her family and even did a little shopping at an outdoor mall.

After visiting with Joe and Katie, we headed to Gilbert, AZ to catch up with a friend from ELEMENTARY school. Mandie!! 
Oh man, it was so great to see her. She is married with two really awesome little boys. You can imagine what it was like for all the kids to be together playing video games… haha it was crazy, but so great. They made lasagna (even vegetarian for me) and a really great Nilla wafer desert that reminded me of Mexico. We only had a few hours to visit, but I’m so glad we did, Mandie and her husband are such great people and it was fun to talk about old memories and newer experiences. 




I cant wait to hang out with them again!
 
Arizona is really growing on me.. we have had the warmest weather, dust storms, friends and family and the scenery is so different from WA, but all  of it really just makes me realize how much I love Tacoma, and I do love Tacoma. 

Heading out to Vegas tomorrow, picking up Justin, then heading to our resort in Henderson!

No comments: