Sunday, July 15, 2012

Undefined. This is me after Mexico.



I’m sitting in Sun City West, Arizona, at the dining room table of my Aunt and Uncle’s house. A gecko runs under a flower bus and quail with their offspring gather in the backyard.
My life has willingly become an adventure novel, full of daunting tasks, disappointments and achievements. The last five weeks I have:

 climbed ancient pyramids,
 taught orphan children English, 
shared with my family my love for education and cultural enrichment, 
played guitar and sang at a Mexican fiesta, 
slept on a bus overnight,
 haggled prices with Mexican artisans,
 stood in a 600 year old cathedral, 
ate cactus, 
witnessed political challenges and rallies following a presidential election, 
watched a dung- beetle push poo across a 2000 year old path in the mountains, 
rode in a crazy Mexican taxi on a winding road in the middle of a jungle, 
learned how to make tequila,
 walked thru the same house that Frida Kahlo ate, drank, and slept, 
stood next to a 5 story statue of Christ on a Mountain, 
learned how to cook like a Mexican, 
witnessed a flash flood because of a nearby hurricane, 
hit a piñata with a stick, 
stayed up til 2 AM watching lightning storms out my window with my roommate-talking about life, boys, friends, school, everything, 
walked thru countless museums, 
salsa danced with new Mexican friends, 

and learned that I am kind, I am patient, I am beautiful, and that life is about feeling and experiencing with every sense, growing in love with the Earth and with my children, and that what makes us different, is what makes us beautiful.

No comments: